Monday, December 13, 2010

Stay at Home



The other day, my neighbor asked if I liked staying home and being a mom. I was surprised because it seems like the acceptable answer is yes, but she said she's known several women who would rather go back to work. When she said that, I really thought about it.

To be completely honest, when I first came home with Lily, I was terrified. I missed working because I knew how to work. I knew a lot about HR and employee benefit programs. I knew how to handle an angry person. I knew how to administer an FSA plan within the IRS guidelines. I liked my boss and my co-workers. I liked having some professionalism in my life. When I came from the hospital, I was thrown into a different world. At one point in my life, I had known a lot about babies and children, but then I went to college and it had been years since I'd been personally responsible for any. I wanted to just go back to work and resume what I'd done before baby Lily. Then, I felt guilty for feeling that way.

I'm extremely happy to report that the solution to that was looking at Lily as a person that I needed to get to know and not a task to complete. Being a mommy is a journey, not a project.

When my neighbor asked if I liked being a mom and staying home, I was glad that I could confidently say YES. I love spending the day being a home maker, and actually making my house a home. I love just staring at my baby's face and smiling at how she's the cutest baby in the entire world. Seeing her grow and learn something as simple as how to pull her feet up makes my whole day. Yesterday she noticed Jack near her and was so interested in the texture of his fur. I just watched in amazement. She brings me such joy.

This post would not be complete without thanking my sweet husband for going to work every day so that I can stay at home and care for our home and baby. James, I know you don't love your work, but I know you love us because you let us stay home to learn and grow. ILY!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoy being home with Lily. Seeing the little people that our children are makes all the difference in appreciating every day with them. It's when I loose sight of that that the day goes poorly.

    ReplyDelete