Sunday, June 5, 2011

Grandma Stephenson

My Grandma and Grandpa Stephenson live a short 45 minutes away. James and I have tried to visit them a few times a year. Each time we do, we are rewarded with gratitude for our amazing posterity, the lessons that the elderly have to teach us and the perspective gained from a lifetime of experiences. This past couple of weeks I have been feeling prompted that I needed to call my grandparents and visit again. Then, yesterday, my sister mentioned that she had heard that my grandmother had an MRI. I got a sinking feeling in my heart because I knew that I should know these things and what's going on. I love my grandparents so much and I like to think that I keep an eye on them. Immediately, I called and spoke with my grandpa. He said my grandmother has been sick for 3 months and things have not been going well. I scheduled to visit the next afternoon.

James and I visited today for less than an hour and we were unable to get many details, but Grandma has lost a lot of weight in the past few months and she's having a very hard time eating and sleeping. The fact that they took me up on the offer of meals is a sure sign that they are struggling. They are from a generation that takes care of themselves. They don't want to accept help, but I hope that any family members reading this will take a moment to tell them that you love them. Don't let the moment pass you by to tell those you love how much you love them!


3 comments:

  1. Aw, love to the family. Let us know if you need us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update Malea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malea and James, I am so grateful to you both for taking time with your beloved grand parents. You have the correct and wonderful perspective of how to appreciate your elderly grand parents. Thank you for that. Your love and your time will be remembered by them. We love you both so much! Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete