Friday, July 8, 2011

Recalled Crib Debacle

We were getting ready to buy a crib because Lily's was totally broken. We went to Babies R Us to compare in person and we noticed that there weren't any drop-side cribs there. I asked an employee and he said they don't make them anymore because most of them have been recalled. Light bulb! If they've been recalled, the one we have (from James' sister) might be among those. 




Sure enough, I searched the US Consumer Public Safety Commission and they released not only one recall for the drop side, but also another later one for the metal frame, that can break. Ha! Good to realize after using this crib for 10 months.


The web said these cribs were sold at Babies R Us, Walmart and Target. The manufacturer (Simplicity) was out of business so it instructed us to contact the retailer.

Here's the reason it became a debacle: I called Babies R Us and they said to call the corporate Customer Service. I called them and one guy said the crib wasn't recalled. I knew it was! Frustrated, I called again and another woman was much more helpful. She created a ticket and said even though she didn't see it as recalled, someone would look into it and get back to me within 10 business days. Ugh. And she said not to use the crib anymore. Riiiiight. Where is my baby supposed to sleep. I don't know why I thought to call Babies R Us first. I asked Leathra and she said she had purchased the crib at Walmart. I called the Springville Walmart and they said it wasn't on the list of recalled cribs. Ahh! I called the corporate Walmart and they said it was recalled and if the location had issues, the CSM could call corporate to confirm. I then called the Orem Walmart and they said they had it listed as recalled and that I had to bring the whole recalled crib into the store. Ok, sucks, but will do.

I packed up the crib by myself and put it in the car. When James got home we had to take two cars to Walmart. I looked up what cribs they sold at the Walmart stores and they had way better options at Springville. Too bad cause Orem was way nicer on the phone. Whatever, we wanted more options so we went to Springville. We waited in line for 30 minutes and then another 20 to have the person confirm that it was recalled. Man, the Customer Service Manager was a beast. He did not care about anyone but himself. Grrrr... but after almost an hour, we got a gift card for $129. Woot!

For Lily's birthday, Grammy gave us some money to get a new crib!


 So, we decided to splurge on the crib and dresser/changer combo. It was only about $40 more than the crib alone. Sweet!

We didn't get it home until Lily's bedtime...8pm. We put her to bed in the 25 year old crib that Lily slept in in our closet. (Had to bring it up from the basement and reassemble that one, ugh.) Then, we got going.





Woot! Then, we put together the dresser. That took FOREVER.


At midnight, we finished! Unfortunately, we forgot to put the nightlight back. Lily woke up freaked out at 2 and then again at 4. New room, no light. Poor mom.

In the end, we are so grateful to have such wonderful family to help us get Lily such nice things! She loves them!

5 comments:

  1. Horray for new crib! Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! And so is that darling little lady in it! I am so glad and grateful that you have what you need for Lils! WOOT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow it looks so great!!! And you look so cute in the pictures putting it together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm,... that recalled crib looks a lot like our crib that we've been using for the last 4 years. I love the one you ended up choosing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Lay. A temporary pack n' play could have really helped you during this madness. I like the happy ending, though.

    ReplyDelete